Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It's Not You, It's Me

I realized something.
When I scroll through my newsfeed on Facebook, I see a variety of posts and comments from friends of my friends that I know by face, but not in person. You know what I mean? The people I’ve seen and maybe said “hi” to before, but nothing beyond a simple meet-and-greet conversation.
Okay, so about these people. Many of these people are widely known at my school and get along with everyone. (If you didn’t know, I go to North Central University — a small, private school in Minneapolis — and you pretty much know everyone by their face.)
With lots of these people, I tend to shove labels on them. I’ll stereotype them for being so popular or having lots of friends. I’ll think, “Hey, they’re on the worship team. They’re a celebrity. They have everything right with God. I can’t talk to them. They won’t think I’m spiritual enough.” Or even the athletes. “They always listen to secular rap music in the gym during practices and I never see them live out their spiritual lives.” And the awkward couples. “Look at them cuddle in the Mail Center all the time. Really? They can’t find their own space?” Then there’s everyone else. The nerds, the hipsters, the PSEO kids, the adults (Ummmm, why are you still in college?), etc. etc. I judge people for no valid reason.
I also tend to isolate myself from certain people. I’m very picky about who I choose to hang out with and I can’t be myself around someone for the very first time I meet them. I come across as this awkward, serious, shy girl. I swear I do.
When I replay every first meeting with a person through my head, I embarrass myself. What was I thinking when I said that? Why did I giggle so much? Why do I pretend like they have no other friends? Why do I belittle them?Dude, there’s so much more to a person than what you see initially. I know you’ve probably heard it over and over again, but it’s the hardcore truth! Not just their outer appearance, per say, but a person’s words and actions are typically different the first time you interact with them. They try to mask or exaggerate their personality, whichever it may be. Someone may be extremely quiet or bitter around you when you first approach them, but around their close buddies they’re loud and funny. Who knows.
And so I conclude one thing: I am fantastic at judging people. And I despise it. I was totally blind to it. I go through life thinking about how friendly and nice I am, and when I don’t know how to get along with someone I blame it on them. Ha. So stupid of me! I need to change my actions and adapt to the other person. I need to be accepting and loving on them, no matter what gossip I’ve heard about them or what kind of atmosphere their presence illuminates.
I need to clean my vision and see people differently. I need to break down misconceptions and judgments of people. I need to walk with the eyes of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment