Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Finding Balance In The Lord

I haven't written in three days. That unrealistic goal of writing a blog a day isn't going to carry through. I simply don't have enough time in one 24-hour period to set aside for blogging every day. I have other responsibilities which are more important. It's going to be my challenge to learn how to balance everything this semester. Here's what's on my plate:
- 12 credits (four classes total)
- 7 hours/week in the cafeteria
- 12-16 hours/week at Gap Outlet
- Co-directing Steps to Beauty
- News Editing "The Northerner"
- Ninedays Prayer Team
Those are the six major items which make up my life, not including my social life and other entertainment. Holy moly, you must be thinking. Or something along those lines (I'm known for my silly "Holy <fillintheblank>" expressions, ha). Yes, I'm busy as a bee! And possibly even more so.
The main goal this semester? To manage everything in an orderly and timely way while still finding room for rest. Oh, and Jesus. Definitely Jesus. He is going to be my core. Because He is my Savior and always works things together for my good.
I find it so easily that people are terrible at time management skills. It's a struggle that never seems to be overcome by anyone. We always are haunted by the future; whether it be the question: What time will I leave for work in the morning so I can grab Caribou Coffee along the way? OR Where will I be ten years from now if I switch my major to Business and start my college career all over again? The long-term or short-term factor has no effect on the weight of our worries. We are consumed by questions dealing with organizing our lives out as if we must connect every piece of the puzzle together perfectly. Which is impossible when there are infinite amount of puzzles pieces in every shape, color, and size.
It doesn't get much better if you're a Christian. In fact, I think it almost seems worse. Not only do we have to worry about our career, relationships, social status, finances, etc., but the entire image of God is now in the picture. What does God want us to do with our lives? we ask ourselves.
The devil loves messing with our heads and tangling our thoughts together. He entertains himself by tempting us and distracting us from the clear path the Lord has for us. He forces thoughts into our heads that make us question God's call on our life. We aren't sure whether or not that word we received at Bible Camp in 5th grade to be a pastor was actually God's voice or not; we aren't sure whether the spiritual gift of evangelism God has given us should be turned into a job of church planting for a lifetime. We become strained in a spiritual battle of if's and then's.
We can't live like this anymore. We can't go through the motions of our everyday lives unsure about every little thing. It's time for us to put our trust in the Lord and give our hears and hearts to Him!He speaks to us, you know. All the time. When you're driving on the crammed highway to work at 6:00 a.m.; when you're picking up that salad from Panera Bread for lunch; when you're ironing your kids' clothes in the laundry room. Wherever you are, God could be speaking to you.
He promised us in Deuteronomy 31:6 that "he will never leave you nor forsake you (NIV)". That's some powerful stuff. He is by our side -- just like the imaginary friend named Steve you envisioned as a child -- with us whenever other people leave us. I'm reminded of a famous saying by one of the professors at my college. "People will fail you, but God is faithful!" Indeed. The Lord sticks with our icky, sinful soul when others run in the opposite direction. You must believe that and put your trust in Him!
When you are feeling overwhelmed and downtrodden, "Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you (1 Peter 5:7 - NLT)". Even in the most darkest and troublesome of times, you can turn your eyes to Jesus and He will give you hope in the moment. Although He may not provide the answers right away, He will always, always be a source of sustainability and peace.
So time management, ehh? Sounds kind of complex. I know I didn't dissect it that much, but what I did do is explain a little insight on my experience with times of stress. Although I am in no way a master of schedules (although my handy dandy pink planner is attached to me like a piece of clothing) and I procrastinate daily, I can rely on the Lord to carry me along my path of life safely and soundly! He will take care of me, even if I slip and fall. He always picks me back up again and leads me right back on track where I need to be. What a good God.
Oh, and a little closing verse that I think sums up the whole "balance" theme well: Ecclesiastes 3:1-8. The opening passage goes like this: "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens..."
GO IN PEACE! God bless. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment