Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Sudden Ache

I was reading a news story today about how extreme monsoon flooding in northeast India has displaced nearly 2 million people. I was utterly shocked at the amount of damage; over 60 people are dead and it is one of the worst disasters this region has seen in over a decade.
After becoming informed about the disaster, my thoughts began to race into action.
What can I do to help? These people have lost all hope. I need to jump on a plane and provide food and water for them.
Complete nonsense. I can't afford a $1,000 plane ticket to India, nonetheless can I simply stop working and spend a month in a foreign country with no place to stay.
Sometimes our instantaneous desires are out of the question.
But God reminded me of something as I pondered this idea.
"You can PRAY."
That's what He said, clear in my head. The wheels in my brain stopped for a moment.
So, I can say a little prayer, and that will be enough? I don't need to do anything else?
First off, no prayer is "little." No matter how short it is and no matter if you use 1st grade vocabulary without the big fancy words.
God hears every prayer shouted, spoken, whispered, and said silently in your head.
"I love the Lord because he hears my voice and my prayer for mercy." (Psalm 116:1)
Secondly, God doesn't call us to solve every hurt and need on the planet. Our hearts may ache to help those who suffer and have experienced great loss, but before our foot takes one step ahead of our hearts we must ask the Lord if it is the right path for us. And while we do that, we must pray continuously and passionately for the situation we empathize with.
God has a very specific plan for every one of us, but one thing he calls each of us to is prayer.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." (Philippians 4:6)
Next time you read about a horrible event in your state or halfway across the world, do not be discouraged if you cannot help out. God has you in the season and place you're in for a reason; embrace that and be prayerful on all occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment