Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Blessed

Tonight I spent an hour cuddled with pillows on my RA's couch. I spilled out everything floating inside my mind to her. She's simply amazing for just listening to me talk!
What I learned: I am so incredibly blessed by such encouraging, loving, and inspiring people.
Seriously, I'm surrounded by a flock of such cool cats (to put it in fun, light-hearted words)!
My roommates push me to be BOLD and REAL.
My close friends listen to me, share smiles and tears with me, challenge me, and wrap words and actions of kindness around me.
My co-director of Steps to Beauty motivates me to finish what I start.
My floormates encourage me and love on me through simple chats in the halls.
My family supports my goals and my dreams by surrounding me with love and providing for me as much as they can.
My brothers in Christ uplift me and tell me that I am beautiful and worthy.
My professors push me to do my best and follow my dream.
Even those I don't know -- whether it be a smiling student I pass by in the skyway who says "Hello", or the salesperson at Target that helps me find what I'm looking for without complaining -- are showing me bit by bit a little more of Christ's love!
Isn't it mind-blowing the mediums God uses to communicate His unfailing and overpowering love to us? We are so oblivious to these mediums sometimes!
There are days where I wake up to my alarm clock and I do not want to get out of bed. I am crabby and tired from staying up until 1:30 a.m. the night before (which is what I'll be doing once again it looks like), and the day is a big blur to me. I go through my three morning classes zombie-like, just waiting for 10:45 a.m. to strike so the hefty part of my day will be over with. The rest of my day is filled with chapel, work, meals, homework, and people; I am so stuck to my schedule and am the worst at being spontaneous! I also like to hibernate in my room most of the day. :)
Each day flies by without recognition of the handfuls of people that deserve it. That friend who sent me a note in the mail DESERVES a thank-you and a hug. That brother who helped unload my groceries from my car DESERVES a homemade Nutella mug cake (or anything delicious and dorm room-cookable, that is). I can't be satisfied with simple "thank you"s anymore. I need to learn to really love back and rebound these blessings!
Also, people in my life deserve to be complimented. And not merely on their outward appearance - their real, inner beauty. People NEED encouragement. They need words of kindness and truth affirmed by the Lord to lift them up.
Even if it's just a simple smile, "hello", hug, or text message, that one random act of kindness could make all the difference in the world for that one person. Because you have no idea what they're going through in that instance.
Or maybe go the extreme and push yourself a little harder to go above and beyond the simple. Write letters of encouragement to mentors and friends who have made a difference in your life, or those people who the Lord has laid on your heart to uplift. Knit a scarf, bake cookies, draw a picture, take a photo, shoot hoops... whatever your talent is, use it for that person! Bless them, not because you want to make yourself feel better, but because they blessed you first. Or maybe they just need someone to love on them -- because everyone needs that kind of person in their life. Even those who look like they have it all together. You have no idea what's going on behind closed doors.
So go. Love. Look for the small opportunities to make a person's day. Be attentive to how they're feeling and what they're thinking. Don't complain. Actually listen to people and care for them! Give out of a servant's heart. Be humble. This is Jesus-kind of-love.

No comments:

Post a Comment